... my Millennium Falcon in scale 1/72 by Fine Molds / Revell (Master Class) is finished.
The wonderful kit (more then 900 parts, great details!) receivied some clear blue resin made engine units and replacements for the exhaust nozzles. Further 3D-printed parts for the laser cannons and docking ports left/right and the cockpit.
The photo etched parts from Paragrafix were used inside and outside as well and bring in some further great details.
For the illumination I have used a blue LED-stripe for the engine, installed in a all around closed light box. Bright white and warm white LEDs and red LEDs are used on the outside of the ship, blinking fibreoptics and a blue "under floor" illumination in the cockpit.
The base is a picture frame with a wooden plate on top, an aluminium pipe glued inside. The Falcon is removable. All wiring is under the base/inside the base, the cables run through the aluminium pipe from the ship under the base.
Two switches on the side of the base (engine and other LEDs) swich the illumination on/off.
I hope that you like the finished Falcon!
I have enjoyed this project very much and I am shure that it was not my last Star Wars kit with illumination.
some more updates of the weathering of the Falcon. First I have painted the exhausts with thinned black color with the airbrush in several thin layers. Black color was also used for other areas on the hull as well as on the damaged areas.
With brown colors I have varied the color of the exhaust streaks, Tamiya Smoke was used for some further variations of the colors on the hull.
A washing with black oil colors was used next on the complete hull, specially on the joints between the several plates on the hull.
Clear coat matt came next on everything, then some black, brown, rusty and silver pigments.
The two cannones were built and painted. I have used 3D printed cannons instead of the kit parts as these were much better deteailed. The frames of the windows were hand painted and weathered.
first the frames of the cockpit windows were painted, then the window parts were glued over the cockpit.
A first layer of primer over the shapeways parts followed next so that the colors will adhere better on these parts...
Next I have added a lot of black pre-shading on the complete falcon which will remain visible under the final painting ...
The final painting is consisting of a mixture of white, buff and dark grey and a lot of thinner sprayed over the falcon in thin layers, remaining the preshading visible.
The decals followed next... yellow, dark grey and red colored decals on the upper and lowered side of the hull. I do not know why, but the red decals were horor. They crumbled at every corner, no matter how much of softener was used ....
Next followed some clear coart to protect the decals for the weathering...
I got my fine molds version off eBay for almost $40 less than anywhere else, it shipped just fine, no damage to the huge box and it was shipped free. So my advice is check online you can probably fine a great deal.
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:52 AM GMT+7
Amazing work Michael!
This kit has been high on my wish list for a long time but never been able to find one.
Are they available in Europe yet?
Revell Germany has them in their catalog, Amazon UK and Ebay Uk have them. You may see it listed as the Fine Molds 1/72 Falcon and that is the same kit. Fine Mold released the kit first then Revell picked up the license, reboxed it as Revell. Same price, a couple hundred bucks but its a great kit.
Once everything is finished in the inside of the hull the upper hull was put on top.... testing, some wires putting in place.... testing, some plastic removing from the lower side of the upper hull at the center of it .... testing ... fits. The upper side was mounted on the lower one with scews... then the lights tested again ... works.
After that I have added all the side panels full of added details and the upper part of the cockpit. The docking ports left and right were replaced with 3D-printed parts, painted also black from the inside. Also the radar on the top and the engine nozzles were 3D-printed parts with correct size and better details. The engine will receive some etched grills later after the primering.