Let's get started.
I figured I'd start with the figures. This was taken before the changes so the terror-bot is her along with one of the Meng figures.
The Meng figures look quite nice. The torsos are halved (front and back). The arms have separate hands, as well as spaces for the tools and meters. The heads are molded as two halves (front/back) and the visors are separate clear styrene. The detail is nice and Meng has captured that bulky, layered look of the EOD suit.
Even though I won't be using it, the robot looks great. The assembly can be a bit fiddly. The connection points need drilling out to fit okay. Even then, they are weak and getting everything set will require some patience. That said, the robot looks nice...it has a female shape to it so it'll probably be used in the alien vampire things. Maybe a hunter/killer unit. I think it'd look good with a tail...give it an animalistic look.
The bomb suits are pretty thick looking. They have a spacesuit appearance but will need some changes. The first thing I did was put them on a Dremel diet. I ground off the layered areas and that massive collar.
Alot of Mars movies have the astronauts wearing slimmer suits. In truth, Mars is a lot different than the Moon. My thought was to keep a bulky design mainly because these are workers. Think of these as issued work-suits capable of use in the more amiable equator areas and usable in the colder areas as you approach the poles. Of course there's the need for air. Even terra-forming, it'd take centuries to transform the Mars atmosphere to Earth-like conditions.
Anyway, the figures were roughly modified and will be cleaned up later. I'll add a backpack for air and stuff.
So the premise is that the duo are out on their work schedule, checking terra-form atmosphere machines. I figure these stations are spread out and use drilling tech to access water and ice caches under the surface.
To get there, they need transport. I went with a buggy influenced by the lunar rover. However, like their suits, the rover is heavy duty and industrial...it's more of a truck designed for work.
I had the axles from an old Jeep CJ. I was going to use the kit's tires and rims. I found a set of wheels from an old Dragon BTR. I think they look better than the Jeep wheels so I'll use them.
It'll be large than the rover. However, it'll still be rather simple. I'm thinking a hybrid using a hydrogen/electric cell. There will be room for two workers and storage space for tools, supplies, and stuff to do their job. The console is from a Dragon Little Bird kit...I assume it was for the IDF MD500 version.
This is a collection of bits I'll probably use for the Terra-form station. The engine is from an old Tamiya Marder IFV kit that has been in my spares for 20+ years. I figured it'd be a good use for it and it should make for a decent core for a engine to convert water to oxygen and hydrogen.
I figure the station will be small. The machinery will be enclosed to protect it from sandstorms, meteors, etc. I figure there will be drills to access the water/ice, solar panels for power, and enough room for crews to use as shelter if needed. Maybe collection tanks for workers to top off hydro fuel and oxygen for their suits.
The smaller wheels are Dragon, from one of their Soviet BDRM kits. I was debating on using them for the terraform station. I figured they might have some sort of mobility to be relocated easily. I'm still debating that.
And that's where I am. I'm liking this new idea and hope to get things rolling pretty quick. I'll do a background story for it, as well as the Mars colonization project. I am hoping to use at least one of the Meng Bomb Tech figure set's EOD robots in this. Maybe it takes core samples or something. Or maybe a mobile scope or diagnostic tool.