_GOTOBOTTOM
Geek Central
A general topic forum for all things ModelGeek.
Thanks to Peter Ong...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
ModelGeek: 2,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hello fellow Geeks,
I just wanted to publicly thank Peter for all the time and work he has put into ModelGeek for the past 3+ years. You won't be seeing all the great news stories and reviews that he has been adding to ModelGeek for a while as he has decided to take a break to get more time for other things (like modeling!). We are sad to see him go, but hope he decides to come back for more down the road.

As Peter would not like to see all his work at building up relationships with vendors for news and reviews go to waste I thought I had better take a few minutes to write this part as well. WE NEED HELP! This site doesn't spew out content on it's own (I wish!) so we need volunteer staffers like Peter who are willing to spend some time each day (or every few days at least) to add news stories, reviews or just general community content to them. There are lots of ways we can help keep this community alive (one way is to post a reply to this topic!) so I hope there are a handful of you out there who like what you find here and want it to continue. Or.. you can just have two sites that focus on sci-fi stuff, both of which are also focused on selling items in their stores.

Seriously though I have created KitMaker and all her sites to be run by modelers who love the hobby and want to make communities that add something to that. Peter has done that job well for 3 years, but now it's time for change. Sort of like that sci-fi future we all dream about. What future can you imagine for ModelGeek?

Cheers,
Jim
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
ModelGeek: 480 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
You have done fantatstic work Peter, enjoy the break.
Andy
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
ModelGeek: 274 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 02:11 AM UTC
Thanks Pete, you have been a great asset to MG. Hope we'll still see you around.

Mario
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
ModelGeek: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hope you have a great build sabbatical, Pete. Send us a build feature sometime!
ryally
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
ModelGeek: 415 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:47 PM UTC
Peter
Thanks for all the work mate, I have watched daily/weekly to see all the news you have put up. You really did a lot for Model Geek pumping out heaps of news all the time. It will be hard to top your work you have done here.

Congrats and posts some WIPs when you have time
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
ModelGeek: 237 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 02:53 PM UTC
The staff of the KitMaker Network know how much Pete's exit stage left is going to have on the site specifically and the network generally. We all wish him well and thank him for his time on the site.

Pete you input is going to be greatly missed, but I do understand your need for downtime. Enjoy a well earnt break bud.

Now for the members who lurk with a light sabre within easy reach. If you do not want to see Pete's hard work go to waste please step up and take on the mantle.
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
ModelGeek: 933 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC
Thanks, everyone! It was nice and fun communicating with you all and working for the Kitmaker Network !

For those who want to carry on the ModelGeek torch, I have learned a lot about web admin, HTML, copywriting, graphics, databases, moderating, etc. And even if you have these skills, ModelGeek was a nice place to hone them.

Furthermore, I've learned a lot about the Sci-Fi model kit market. There's a lot out there from companies large and small, some well-known and others not so much. It was really exciting to bring the Sci-Fi kits from the far corners of the world out into the open for the public to see.

And there's still MORE Sci-Fi, creature, Anime, Fantasy, Mecha, Dinosaur, and Comic kits out there from talented sculptors and companies waiting to be discovered and reported on, especially with the rise of 3D sculpting and popular Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies. The ModelGeek torch still shines bright for anyone who wants to carry it.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
ModelGeek: 431 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC
Peter,

thank you for all you have done for MG and KMN. Your efforts are what make the site grand.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
ModelGeek: 340 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC
Peter you've done some amazing work for this site and I like so many people here really appreciate all of your hard work.

Im not fully aware of all the behind the scenes activities involved but I would be interested in learning and it would be nice to put some content back into the site.

Im not sure who these other sites are that have their own online stores. ..possibly starship modeller but im not sure what the other site is that was alluded to.

In the meantime I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing some of your builds soon.
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 693 posts
ModelGeek: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi Pete and Jim

Pete, I have to agree with all the sentiments posted here. You've done a fine job and its time to take a well earned rest.

Jim, if I can help I'd be happy to. I've written a few posts and have time to help. I'm not a professional in any sense, but send me pm and if there's something we can agree to then I'm happy to help.

Happy modelling guys.

All the best

Steve
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC
Thanks, guys, I appreciate it !

Steve, if you do take over the reins of ModelGeek, I wish you all the best . It's a great site with a wonderful group of followers. I've received emailed compliments from Sci-Fi modelers saying that they saw new product news first on ModelGeek. Imagine making history as the first poster of the new kit to the world!
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 693 posts
ModelGeek: 121 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hi Pete

Well let's see. How much time did it take you to keep things running? You did a great job and if Jim wants some help I wouldn't want to let standards slip.

Whatever happens I hope yo stick around and stay active on the site.

All the best

Steve
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Thanks. I sent you a PM.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
ModelGeek: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC
Thanks Peter for running my favorite part of the Kitmaker Network. I'm sure you'll be dropping in from time to time. Who could resist the Model Geek forum?!?

Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 11:26 PM UTC
Thanks, KoSprueOne!
 _GOTOTOP