login   |    register

Bassett Street House

  • move
Steps and Porch details

Window Masking
I measured most windows the same size, so I cut the mask for each of these from rows on the masking tape, prior to applying.

And More Plastic Bits
These are smaller window sill and woodwork detail pieces.

We’re Finally Here
Years of construction, off and on, and hours of masking, have led to this point. It’s now ready for primer, so this is the last time we’ll see all the various pieces before paint.


Masks off now
The appearance of fine window framework seems to have worked!

Oil Paint as a base for the Brick treatment…
Oil paint as a base was a mistake in both color and material, as you shall see…

Roof and decks painted but still waiting for the brick oil paint to dry
I used 2 different shades of gray art acrylic mixes, to differentiate the deck paint from the darker asphalt shingles. I have found that the greater number of colors helps lend to the realism. I know that sounds obvious.

It’s the right color now_dark asphaltic “brick” siding, dark brown/red
Well, the oil paint went on on February 16, and by March 1, I was finally able to paint over it with artist acrylics. What a relief!
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move

About the Author

About Sean Hadfield (windysean)

I picked up model building and HO-scale model trains from my father. I've been working at it now for more than 45 years, always learning more. Although a self-proclaimed cheapskate, I always modify or add to my builds to make them unique and special (for better or worse, ha ha).


Sean, Those of you who scratchbuild these complex structures simple amaze me. Bassett Street is a great example of craftsmanship.
FEB 07, 2016 - 07:48 AM
Sean, That is a very impressive scratch build Thanks for sharing the SBS
FEB 07, 2016 - 08:05 AM
Thanks, guys. This was one of those challenges we set for ourselves, and you pick away at it and strategize until it's done. Cheers! -Sean H
FEB 07, 2016 - 08:14 AM